Okay. So this is going to be a really long post. I did a TON of shopping this month, but my actual out-of-pocket spending was very limited, thanks to my gift card strategy (read about it here). I’ve kind of lost track since I had some returned items, but my actual out-of-pocket cost was under $35. So, what did I buy? Here goes:
First up are the pants I bought. I tend to hold onto my office pants a really long time, which is great, but also gets boring dragging out the same pants every year. Time for a refresh.
Top row: All JCP brand from JCPenney. Left: light khaki capris (available here). Middle: purple pants, which I purchased in tall (!) so that they would come all the way to my ankle (available here). Right: wine/berry-ish capris. They were on clearance, plus I had a coupon. They came down to under $8 each, for which I used a gift card.
Bottom row: Both from The Limited. Left: Exact Stretch ankle pants (available here). Right: Exact Stretch bootcut pants (available here). Exact Stretch pants were on sale for $29.90 each and I used a gift card.
How about some dressier items?
Left: Old Navy maxidress in petite (available here). This is a purchase for my upcoming vacation in May and it would be okay for work with a cardigan.
Center: The Limited green lace skirt (available here). Did you ever just see something and love it so much that you had to buy it even though you really didn’t have any definite need for it? That’s how I felt about this skirt. Love at first sight. And I was thrilled to discover that it fits me perfectly. Unfortunately, it probably won’t be warm enough here to wear it for probably at least a month, maybe two.
Right: Modcloth nautical-inspired dress (available here). This was my first purchase from Modcloth. It fits great and I like it, but I’m a little disappointed by the quality in relation to price. After my e-gift card to Modcloth is used up, I probably won’t shop there again.
On to some other items I have ear-marked for vacation (and I’m sure I will use them during summer too):
1. Red/white polka dot bikini from JCPenney (available here). $12? Yes, please!
2. Black sandal from JustFab (“Nori” style – available here). I used my credit from last month.
3. Teal ruffled tank top from Target (available here). Finally, a tank top that fits perfectly – fitted but not clingy, covers the bra entirely, and not too low cut.
4. Hot pink/white polka dot sleeveless top from Kohl’s (available here). Easy to dress up or down.
5. & 6. Flip-flops from Kohl’s (available here). Better made and more comfy than the Old Navy variety. Sometimes you just need a cheap flip-flop. Or two.
7. Red peplum top from Kohl’s (Elle brand – available here). One of my favorite purchases this month. It fits perfectly and I can’t wait to wear it.
8. Graphic tank from American Eagle (available here). I almost returned this since it’s a little more sheer than I would prefer, but it fits really well and wasn’t expensive after my coupon code. And it screams “vacation.”
9. White denim midi shorts from American Eagle (available here). I looked at white denim shorts at a bunch of different places but decided to go with these. The midi length is great.
To prepare for vacation, I’ve been working out a lot lately. (Hopefully, I’ll have a separate post on my fitness regiment soon.) I decided to treat myself on some workout gear that I could actually be seen in outside my house.
Gray capri leggings from Fabletics. Free to a good home ($4.95 shipping/handling) if you sign up for their VIP program (a monthly subscription program from the same folks as JustFab – cancel anytime and skip the month any/every time you feel like it). Very happy with the quality of these.
Purple and neon coral bubble tanks from Old Navy (available here). I have a blue bubble workout tank from ON that I love, so I want to add to the collection. I love how flowy these are and they are long enough to wear with tight workout leggings and not feel self-conscious.
Black running shorts from Old Navy (available here). They have underwear built-in. No panty lines. Genius. You could probably even wear these as pajamas or board shorts if you don’t feel like putting on a bikini bottom.
Now for the random other stuff I bought!
1. Red/pink print Joe Fresh sweater from JCPenney (available here in limited sizes but it’s cheaper in-store). My only in-store purchase this month! It was on super-clearance.
2. Navy/white polka dot button-down shirt from Target.
3. Navy/white print top from Old Navy (available here).
4. Beige stretch belt from Old Navy (available here).
5. Red v-neck tank top from Target (available here).
6. Calvin Klein satchel from Macy’s (available here). Love, love, love this purse. It’s the most pricey bag I’ve ever bought, but it has two big side pockets which are great. I can keep my mini-tablet in one and my keys and phone in the other for easy access. My (huge) wallet fits nicely in the central area. No more digging around at the bottom!
7. Chambray button-down from Kohl’s (available here). It doesn’t show up in the picture, but there is a cute small floral pattern running throughout the shirt.
8. Dark gray dolman top from Kohl’s (available here). Another favorite purchase from this month!
9. Green long sleeve tee from Kohl’s (available here - I recommend sizing down). I have several of these in a variety of colors – they wash and dry nicely and can be dressed up or down.
10. Black contrast trim Lauren Conrad blouse from Kohl’s (available here). Adorable. Love the little bows.
11. White embroidered short sleeve top from Old Navy (available here). A white top that is lightweight but not see-through. Finally.
12. White peplum cardigan from Macy’s (available here). I will be wearing this to work as much as possible this summer.
13. White/navy polka dot button-down shirt from Old Navy (available here).
14. Mint ponte blazer from Kohl’s (available here). I love ponte fabric; it’s so much more comfy than a typical blazer!
15. Black/white print button-down from Target (available here). My obsession with button-down shirts continues. (I have a lot of frumpy, old turtlenecks to replace! And these can be worn pretty much year round here, so I should get use out of them.)
Thus concludes my crazy-ass March haul.
While I feel pretty bad about the quantity of items I bought, I’m really happy with the individual pieces. Fortunately, there are only two things I really have in mind for April shopping:
1. Black heeled sandals that are comfortable enough to dance in
2. A fedora that can work as a sun hat
Unfortunately, I have some Virtual Dollars to spend at The Limited and I know Old Navy has a promotion coming up next week too. And I have another Kohl’s coupon. And a JustFab coupon code.
I will be good in April. I will be good in April. I will be good in April. I will be good in April. I will be good in April. I will be good in April.